Thursday, September 2, 2010

Winter Photography

I just read the chapter in the book about winter photography. I was excited to read this chapter, thinking that it would actually be about taking pictures. Most of the chapter, however, was about clothing. While it was somewhat ineresting, I did not really enjoy reading five pages about what to wear. The part about using zippers instead of layers was something that I had not heard before but made sense, however, I will not be buying a new winter coat simply so I can unzip it. I was very dissapointed in the part about hands. Keeping your hands warm in the winter while taking ohotos has always been a problem for me, and I am sure most other people as well. I cannot take pictures with bulky gloves on, but my hands get very cold very fast if I don't have any. I was really hoping for a creative soultion, but got nothing I had not heard before.

I was also dissapointed in how short the sections on light quality and subject contrast were, and also that they did not explain how to overcome light problems faced when shooting in the snow. I thought the section on subject choices was unnecessary, since anything can be a subject, and I do not need a book to tell me that most birds are gone in the winter. All in all, this chapter had a few interesting points, but I found it useless for most of its intents and purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment