Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gene Rhoden

Weatherpix images is based in Oklahoma, in the heart of Tornado Alley. All of the images are of storms across the Great Plains. The photographer and storm chaser who takes these photographs is Gene Rhoden. He started by chasing storms in his car in 1981, and eventually became a professional weather photographer in the early 1990's. He has contributed to several documentaries and a National Geographic Society expecition. He has also appeared on mulitple television and radio shows.

I found Gene Rhoden by linking through various weather photography sites while trying to find a photographer that I liked. I had decided to look up weather photogrpahy after a small storm here in Billings. Gene has some of the best photos that I had seen. The ones that fascinate me the most, though, are his photos of lighting. Having been out in many storms, sometimes with a camera, I can't help but wonder just what equipment he uses to consistently capture pictures of lighting. There has to be some sort of technology that can approximate where it will hit, because I would think the chances of getting even one picture of lighting with just a camera would be slim to none.

I can't help but think you would have to be at least a little stupid to go out and chase storms just to get a good picture. In the case of Gene, I am glad he does it because his pictures of nature at its most dangerous are spectacular. I love to look at nature's potential through his photographs, and am glad I can look from a safe distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment